Yoshioka Lab／BIKEN Innovative Vaccine Research Alliance Laboratories Vaccine Creation Group
Most protein antigens such as non-living macromolecules or protein-subunit antigens evoke weak or undetectable adaptive immune responses. Therefore, to develop effective vaccines it is necessary to develop vaccine adjuvants and antigen delivery carriers. In addition, to develop optimal (in terms of efficacy and safety) vaccines for clinical application, it is important to understand the mechanism by which vaccines act on the immune system. In this regard, our research is focused on optimizing vaccines through drug delivery systems and safety science. Our specific research projects are:
1) Development of vaccine adjuvants using comprehensive screening methods.
2) Development of antigen delivery carriers and adjuvants using nanotechnology.
3) To use these adjuvants and delivery carriers to develop vaccines for infectious diseases.
- SA Prof. : Yasuo Yoshioka (concur.)
- SA Assoc. Prof.: Toshiro Hirai (concur.)
- (1) Synergistic effect of non-neutralizing antibodies and interferon-γ for cross-protection against influenza. Shibuya M. et al. iScience. 2021 Sep 15;24(10):103131.
(2) The Potential of Neuraminidase as an Antigen for Nasal Vaccines To Increase Cross-Protection against Influenza Viruses. Kawai A et al. J Virol. 2021 Sep 27;95(20):e0118021.
(3) Neutrophil-Mediated Lung Injury Both via TLR2-Dependent Production of IL-1α and IL-12 p40, and TLR2-Independent CARDS Toxin after Mycoplasma pneumoniae Infection in Mice. Tamiya S. et al. Microbiol Spectr. 2021 Dec 22;9(3):e0158821.
(4) Murine Cross-Reactive Nonneutralizing Polyclonal IgG1 Antibodies Induced by Influenza Vaccine Inhibit the Cross-Protective Effect of IgG2 against Heterologous Virus in Mice. Shibuya M. et al. J Virol. 2020 Jun 1;94(12):e00323-20.
(5) Lipid Nanoparticles Potentiate CpG-Oligodeoxynucleotide-Based Vaccine for Influenza Virus. Shirai S. et al. Front Immunol. 2020 Jan 9;10:3018.
(6) Carbonate Apatite Nanoparticles Act as Potent Vaccine Adjuvant Delivery Vehicles by Enhancing Cytokine Production Induced by Encapsulated Cytosine-Phosphate-Guanine Oligodeoxynucleotides. Takahashi H. et al. Front Immunol. 2018 Apr 18;9:783.
(7) Intracellular trafficking of particles inside endosomal vesicles is regulated by particle size. Aoyama M. et al. J Control Release. 2017 Aug 28;260:183-193.
(8) Distribution of Silver Nanoparticles to Breast Milk and Their Biological Effects
on Breast-Fed Offspring Mice. Morishita Y. et al. ACS Nano. 2016 Sep 27;10(9):8180-91.
(9) Metal nanoparticles in the presence of lipopolysaccharides trigger the onset of metal allergy in mice. Hirai T. et al. Nat Nanotechnol. 2016 Sep;11(9):808-16.
- Yoshioka Lab